Matlock Canoe Club is one of the premier canoe clubs in the East Midlands region. Formed in 1984, as part of the British Canoe Union, by several local canoeing enthusiasts, we are located on a small stretch of the River Derwent in Matlock Bath Derbyshire.
Canoeing is based around the 800 metre section of the River Derwent called the Matlock Slalom Site, which is Grade 2 (rapid water). The site has easy access to a permanent slalom course with training gates. The course has floodlighting, so can be used all year round (water levels permitting!).
Matlock Canoe Club has always been a pioneering club for slalom canoeing and, over the years, has produced many national champions, as well as many successes at international level.
As a club, we offer:
- Organised sessions, including coaching, on Wednesday and Thursday evenings (7.00 – 9.00 pm) at the Matlock Slalom site.
- Coaches and experienced paddlers to support the progression of beginners; with more than enough beginners to ensure anybody new to the sport doesn’t feel alone.
- A variety of different canoeing disciplines.
- Access to club boats and equipment (though this is limited, and members are expected to acquire their own equipment once they have decided what will best serve their interests.
- Club tours and trips away – some local, others further afield, such as Llandysul in South Wales, or Bala in the North. We even have tours abroad for the experienced paddler.
- Non paddling social events are also an annual treat such as a picnic at Chatsworth, a ceilidh or a game of croquet.
- Organised major competition events, such as our National Division 2/3 Canoe Slalom race in Spring.
News and diary dates are found on this website under ‘CaNEWS’ tab. It’s the best way to keep in touch with the Club events and forthcoming activities.
So, if you are an experienced paddler looking for a new club, or are a complete novice interested in participating in the sport, you will be welcome at Matlock Canoe Club.
For further information, please contact email@example.com